When should I jump into a network marketing business?
I get this question a lot because it is all about timing… timing in the company, in the country, and in your life. So how do you figure out when is right?
I have no concrete answer for you. It is 100% up to you to decide, but I can give you some tips that will help you make a decision that feels right for you.
1. It’s like having a baby. We want everything to be “ready.” Our finances in line, our careers in a good spot, etc. etc. Then, like me and my hubby and surprise! You are having a baby! And guess what, we couldn’t imagine it any other way right now. That is how starting your own business is. If you wait for everything to be “perfect,” guess what? You will never start that business. Because nothing will ever be just right. Sometimes you just need to go for it.
The advice I give is, after you got all the information on the company and how it works, sleep on it. If you wake up the next day with it still on your mind, then that is a sign you are ready to go for it. If you woke up the next day and forgot about it or weren’t excited about it, well, then that means it’s probably not for you.
The biggest regret my business partners tell me is that they wish they would have started sooner.
2. Know the trends for the company you are joining and for the market that company is in. I’m going to use the skin care market and Rodan + Fields because I know that best, but this applies to any company. When I started I did my research. The skin care market has been continually on the rise for many years and had a growth projection that was incredible. And not just in the US, but globally, which is also very important. I also looked at other markets related to skin care. Consumers and how they shopped. Shopping is continuing to grow in the online platform so I wanted to tap into that component and made sure the company I chose was a virtual platform. Also, the consumer demographic for skin care was developing… a large amount of our population (which we in the US call the baby boomers) were now entering their 50s and 60s and worried about aging, and our young population was becoming very savvy about aging prevention. The trends were all pointing in the right direction. So doing your research on the market in a few different areas is key.
3. Know the company. You also want to research the company’s trends. Have they shown steady growth? Not just a giant spike now, but steady increases. You don’t want huge spikes that just happens once, but continual growth over the years. And if the company is brand new to your country, does it have solid growth in the countries it is currently in? You don’t want to get involved with a company that is expanding so fast they don’t have a stable foundation. It could be great but it also comes with incredible risk.
If the company has a solid business foundation in other countries and their products and services are solid as well, then jumping in at the beginning of their start in a new country can be an incredible opportunity for growth for you, plus it also gives a solid, respected foundation to stand on which means much less risk and the potential for great reward.
4. Ask about the future. Does the company have concrete plans for continued expansion globally? Do they have plans for new innovative products or services? You want to make sure they are not just riding a wave right now but already thinking ahead planning to ride the next one, and the next one, and be there with you for many years to come.
5. The fifth and final tip is the most important. You. Get the details you need. I encourage you to have a detailed phone, video, or in person conversation with a leader in the network marketing company you are interested in and ask a lot of questions that are important to you. Then, go with your gut. Remember when I shared if you wake up the next morning still excited about it, then take the leap? If you wake up and forgot about it, it likely isn’t for you. Our brains can make logical decisions very quickly on whether the opportunity is good or bad. We know if the information adds up. But our emotions tell us if it is the right fit for us and if we want to be a part a part of it. And that is the most important key to your success. It may be the best logical opportunity, but you also need to want it for you.
Cheers to a bright new year! I hope 2017 brings many opportunities your way!
As always, I’d love to connect! You can find me on facebook at facebook.com/michaela.schell.3 or reach out to me. I’m always happy to share more about what I do and if getting involved in network marketing is right for you!